Thursday, November 20, 2008

Why Tithe?

Bring ye all the tithes into the storehouse, that there may be meat in mine house, and prove me now herewith, saith the LORD of hosts, if I will not open you the windows of heaven, and pour you out a blessing, that there shall not be room enough to receive it.
Malachi 3:10

I remember the first time I heard about tithing and saw the brothers and sisters go up with their tithes. I asked the Pastor “what are they doing” and “what is tithing”? She explained to me that it is taking ten percent of your earnings and giving it to the Lord. Of course God doesn’t need our money but those He has called to labor in ministry do. I quickly said “I want to tithe!” She smiled at me with love and I began to tithe immediately afterward. It was and still is a joy for me to tithe. The bible tells us that when we tithe, God opens the windows of heaven and pours out blessings upon us. I am a witness of God’s faithfulness in this area. I have lacked for nothing. It says to test Him, if He will not bless as He says He will. God is awesome. If you notice the verse says “Bring ye all the tithes into the storehouse that there may be meat in mine house….” What does that mean? God has no need for food but His people do! In Israel the priests were dedicated solely to the work of God, ministering in the temple. They could not go out and work for a living or at least they weren’t supposed to. But there came a point where they had to because the people were not tithing and they had to survive. That there may be meat in mine house refers to providing for the priests and the Levites who ministered to the Lord in His temple day and night. Today those priests are our Pastors, who have dedicated themselves to full time ministry and need sustenance. It is our responsibility to sustain our Pastors and the church ministry through our tithes and offerings. If you have not experienced the joy of tithing start today, test God, and see how He will open the windows of heaven and bless your socks off to where there is no room for you to receive it all. If you have, testify to others who may not have, about God’s faithfulness in this area so that they too can partake of the blessings. God is faithful to those who are faithful even to those who are not, yet He reminds us of the importance of tithing and the blessing behind it.

0 comments: