Monday, November 24, 2008

Where can you go?

Where can I go from Your Spirit? Or where can I flee from Your presence? If I ascend into heaven, You are there; If I make my bed in hell, behold, You are there. If I take the wings of the morning, and dwell in the uttermost parts of the sea, even there Your hand shall lead me, and Your right hand shall hold me. Psalm 139:7-10


How many of you know the story of Jonah? Jonah was a prophet who God had sent to a country where sin abounded. Frankly Jonah didn’t like these people and didn’t want to go, so instead of going where God sent him, he went the other way. The Psalmist David asked the Lord where can he go from His Spirit? In other words where can I hide from Your Spirit?? God is all seeing and all knowing and you cannot hide from him. Jonah soon found this out as God created a storm around the boat he was in and he had to have the crew throw him off the ship in order to save them because he knew the storm was because of his disobedience and flight. So now David continues, if I ascend into heaven, You are there; if I make my bed in hell, behold You are there. If I take the wings of the morning, and dwell in the uttermost parts of the sea, even there Your hand shall lead me, and Your right hand shall hold me. Isn’t that beautiful?? No matter where we are, God is with us, leading us and guiding us. Jonah was swallowed by a fish and there God was dealing with him. When he repented of his disobedience, the fish spit him out and he landed in Nineveh where he gave the message that God had given him for the people there and they repented and were saved from the wrath of God. God pursues us with relentless love, no matter where we are He is there with us. A word of advice for those who think they can hide from the Lord – stop running. You cannot hide from God. You may be able to hide from me or your Pastor or the church but you CANNOT hide from God. Jonah could not hide on the ship going to Tarsus and he could not hide in the belly of the fish. Sooner or later you will realize that God is everywhere. What man cannot see, He can. When you are afflicted and struggling, God is there with you also. There are times when what God asks of you doesn’t make sense to you, but be obedient because you will have to give account as to why you disobeyed. You cannot hide. God’s hand shall lead you and His right hand shall hold you. Isn’t that awesome!! Praise God!! No matter what your situation is God will hold you! When you feel like you want the earth to open up and swallow you whole, God’s right hand will hold you. He will lead you. He will order your steps and lead you in the path of righteousness for His namesake. David understood that God is omnipresent – He is everywhere. And because He had a relationship with Him, he knew that no matter where he was, God would be there also.

0 comments: