Friday, October 17, 2008

Reconciling Differences

Hypocrite! First remove the plank from your own eye, and then you will see clearly to remove the speck from your brother’s eye. Matthew 7:5

There are times when we are offended by something someone said or did and we focus on the offense and don’t realize that our reaction to the offense may be more offensive or just as offensive and we hurt that person with our words and with our actions. I have been guilty of this on several occasions. The worst part of it is that I feel justified in my behavior because as we used to say when we were children “He/She started it!” or “He/She hurt me first!” Those reactions are just that, childish. It is not easy to admit when we are wrong even when someone else has hurt us. I would say especially so. I have learned though, that if you allow the Holy Spirit to guide you, you will realize your error and attempt to correct it if in fact you want to be obedient and are repentant about your behavior. I thank God for His Holy Spirit who convicts us when we are wrong and gently nudges back in the right direction. For some of us it takes a little more than nudging because we don’t want to admit we are wrong or we simply don’t realize that we did or said anything wrong and that is dangerous. When you offend someone and that person brings it to your attention and you disregard it simply because you don’t feel you did anything wrong, or you don’t like the person’s approach about it, you hurt that person more. Now the offended feels that you don’t care how they feel and retaliate in a worse manner. This verse was spoken by Jesus to the Pharisees, who criticized and thought they were better than the common Jew because they did not have to beg to eat, and they were “religious leaders”, they were so called “high society” who treated people poorly and criticized others because they didn’t have, not caring how they made these people feel. What do you think happens when you offend someone and don’t correct it or ask their forgiveness even when you don’t think you did anything wrong? You leave the door open for gossip, slander, anger, discord, and chaos, because now that person is upset and will talk to others about your behavior. This affects your testimony as a Christian as well as the offended person’s because you failed to show love and reconcile the situation rather than let it get out of hand. Both are trying to remove a speck from the other’s eye yet still have a plank in their own. You have to step back, look at the situation and remove the plank from your own eye first so that then you can go to the offended person and ask their forgiveness and by doing so you remove the speck out of their eye. We must try to live as examples to others. We are not perfect and won’t be perfect until we are in glory, but with the Holy Spirit guiding us and helping us, we can overcome and be victorious. I hope I made sense in this devotional, know that God first ministered to me through this word and I know it will minister to you.

Heavenly Father,
I pray that this word would minister to every soul that reads it. I thank You because it has ministered to me and I ask You to keep me as well those reading this, sensitive to your Holy Spirit and sensitive to others. That we would be mindful of what we say, how we say it, and how we approach others. Bless all those who will read this today Lord, and if they are going through a similar situation, give them the strength and the love to reconcile whatever differences they may be experiencing. Lord I thank You for Your word and the priviledge to share it with others. Fill us with Your love everyday that we are on this earth so that we can love others as we love ourselves. In Jesus name.

Amen

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello Christine

I receive your devotion with an open heart. You have reminded me of the lesson I learned and have to keep applying to my every day life. Thank you so much for sharing and caring. God bless and be blessed.

Classmate